Today at SFCS
Comprehensive Practice, Nationwide Reach
SFCS is a comprehensive architectural practice with a primary focus on:
- Senior Living
- Higher Education
- Civic and Public Projects
You will find SFCS projects all across America, from Connecticut to Florida, and Arizona to Minnesota. Additionally, SFCS is now exploring international opportunities.
In the Mid-Atlantic region, recent SFCS projects include:
- Renovations and expansions to the Roanoke City library system
- Multiple expansion and renovation projects at Virginia Western Community College and other community colleges
- Consultants in Cardiology medical office building
- Leyburn Library renovations at Washington and Lee University
- The Village at Woods Edge active adult community at Warm Hearth Village in Blacksburg
- Radford University’s Hurlburt Student Center
- Holtzman Alumni Center/ Skelton Conference Center/ The Inn at Virginia Tech
Restoring Homes, Restoring Lives
Outside the region, SFCS has been immersed in such work as the redesign of the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Gulfport, MS, which was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. This $170 million project, is the largest in SFCS history and is designated LEED Gold.
At the Forefront of Sustainable Design
As an advocate for sustainable design, we believe that good design practices inherently promote green design. Working on over $400 million of LEED certified projects and many of our staff having LEED certification has provided us with first-hand knowledge of how to enhance natural light, spatial configurations, and views.
Sustainable features include:
- A flat roof with vegetation that treats storm water and insulates the building
- Low-emitting interior building materials that reduce indoor air pollution
- Fixtures that reduce light pollution
- Recycling of 75 percent of all construction waste
SFCS takes a leadership role in professional organizations like:
- LeadingAge (formerly AAHSA)
- The Society for College and University Planning, Mid-Atlantic Region (SCUP)
We share our specialized design experience in trade presentations, and we serve on committees that support these and other related industry associations.
To read more about our recent staff presentations, visit our Presentations page.
Edited On: 10/30/2013 2:56:34 PM